At 10:03 30/05/1999 +1000, Strike wrote:
>Although the sea conditions were calm and the sun was shining brightly, the
>underwater visibility was down to about 4 - 5-metres, during yesterday's
>dive at Shelly Beach.

Hey, I dream of 4-5 metres vis  :-)  We did a club dive/Grey Nurse survey
at Julians on Saturday and the vis was barely 2 metres and really milky.
Later that day a couple of us did a shore dive.  The vis was so bad on the
way back to shore I had to keep stopping every few metres and putting my
face right near the bottom so I could see which way the sand was moving in
the surge.  Eventually I gave up on the natural navigation and whipped out
my compass.  All of the sand has been ripped away on main beach (with the
recent big seas) so entry and exits were over large expose boulders and
rocks in considerable swath [?] and backwash.  We did find a nice little
wobbie (under 50cm in length) and collect a hermit crab for an aquarium on
the dive, so it was worth it.  Also suprisingly managed to find three
species of nudibranchs, none new for the area.

>Early on in the dive and out of the corner of one eye, I suddenly noticed a
>flurry of activity.  A large eastern blue grouper was venting what looked
>like clouds of black smoke out of its mouth!  I looked closer and saw a
>still wriggling tentacle poking out of one side of the mouth and realised
>that the 'black smoke' was a cloud of ink!  The last desperate attempt of
>either a smaller cuttlefish, octopus or squid, to avoid being eaten for
>breakfast!

Amazing, I though blue grouper were mostly bottom feeders.  I wouldn't have
thought they could catch a squid.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon L Hartley
RSM Unit Web Administrator\First Year Course Coordinator
Associate Lecturer
School of Resource Science and Management
Southern Cross University
P.O. Box 157
Lismore NSW, Australia 2480
Ph: (02) 66203251 or (61 66) 203 251