On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Daniel O'Donnell wrote:

|1) What is the difference between converting text from TEI to XML or
|HTML via a filter (i.e. through perl, or, as I have just discovered
|DropConvert) and using a dtd?  Are there advantages to one over the
|other?

A dtd doesn't actually convert anything. A filter in perl or anything
else converts the tags (and maybe also the text) in your document from
one form to another. You use a DTD to specify what tags are legal in the
input state of your document, the output state, or both. The current TEI
dtds define things in a way which is legal for SGML, but not for XML. So
if you want your documents to be legal XML you need to do two things (a)
convert the format of the documents (b) check the documents against an
XML version of the DTD

|2) The dtds that have just been discussed by C.M. Sperberg-McQueen are
|for TEI lite, but the document http://www.uic.edu/orgs/tei/ed/edw69.html
|seems to apply to the whole tei2.  What does one do if one is using the
|full dtd?

As aforesaid, no-one uses the WHOLE dtd. But several people use
different parts of the DTD in several different combinations. The
EDW69 document describes how to produce more or less automatically an
XML version of whatever combination of the TEI dtd buffet you've got
on your plate. If you're using the standard TEI modification mechanism,
it should be pretty easy. Send us your modification files and let's try it
out!

|Sorry if these are silly questions.  I keep discovering amazing holes in
|my knowledge. I'm interested in this because we are finally closing in
|on a complete alpha version of a tei critical edition, and we will be
|trying to convert to xml or html to let the funders see what we've been
|up to within the next two to three months.  I've trying, as we put the
|pieces of the edition together, to anticipate the xml or html conversion
|as much as possible to safe time during what I think will be a very
|rushed two or three weeks at the end of the summer.

Converting the documents to XML is EASY -- it's just straightforward
syntactic changes. You could, for example, use the little perl script
that J-D Fekete posted here yesterday. If all you want is "well
formed" XML, then you don't need to do anything more. But if you want
your XML documents to be "valid" then they will need an XML DTD to go
with them, in which case you will also need to convert the view of the
TEI dtd that you used to validate the original SGML files, using the
mechanisms described in EDW69 (assuming that your DTD uses the TEI
dtd in a conformant manner).

Hope this is helpful

Lou
 Lou Burnard                           http://users.ox.ac.uk/~lou