Hello,

For the new xml version of teilite the editors had to decide how to
write the tag names, because XML is case sensitive. They decided to
choose names like these:

respStmt
publicationStmt
biblFull
titlePage

The obvious benefit is: the tags are better readable compared to lower
case letters all the way. The only problem I see (and have) now: If
somebody wants to convert his or her SGML teilite text to XML, it seems
to be necessary to write a line of code for each tag:

In Perl:
(1)
$input =~ s/<RESPSTMT/<respStmt/g;
$input =~ s/<PUBLICATIONSTMT/<publicationStmt/g;

If the teixlite tags would be only lower case, one line would be enough to
normalize all tags:

(2)
$input =~ s/(<.+?) /lc($1)/e;

Do I overlook a simpler solution for the conversion in case (1)?

Is it more useful to accommodate to the reading of tags or to the
automatic conversion?

Thanks,
Fotis Jannidis

Zeitschrift fuer Computerphilologie