I've been following the material on the tei/xml dtd with interest.  But
as always, I'm confused.  I wonder if anybody would help me get some
basic concepts straight.

1) What is the difference between converting text from TEI to XML or
HTML via a filter (i.e. through perl, or, as I have just discovered
DropConvert) and using a dtd?  Are there advantages to one over the
other?

2) The dtds that have just been discussed by C.M. Sperberg-McQueen are
for TEI lite, but the document http://www.uic.edu/orgs/tei/ed/edw69.html
seems to apply to the whole tei2.  What does one do if one is using the
full dtd?

Sorry if these are silly questions.  I keep discovering amazing holes in
my knowledge. I'm interested in this because we are finally closing in
on a complete alpha version of a tei critical edition, and we will be
trying to convert to xml or html to let the funders see what we've been
up to within the next two to three months.  I've trying, as we put the
pieces of the edition together, to anticipate the xml or html conversion
as much as possible to safe time during what I think will be a very
rushed two or three weeks at the end of the summer.

-dan, editor the Electronic Caedmon's Hymn.
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Department of English

Tel (403) 329-2377