We are getting ready to encode an apparatus, and I've found something I
don't quite understand in the dtd and TEI manual.  I wonder if anybody
has any suggestions.

According to P3 Manual 19.2 passim, a textual apparatus encoded using
the TEI.textcrit additional tag set can be placed in-line or external
(i.e. "outside the base text"). You have to specify which system you are
using in the encoding description.

According to teiclass2.ent (P3 Manual 3.7.4), however, <app> is a phrase
level element --i.e. something that can only be placed within a "chunk"
(a paragraph, line, etc).

The trouble is that this seems to rule out an external apparatus.  If
you are editing verse and <app> is a phrase level component, then it can
only appear inside an <l> (i.e. within the line).  If you want to place
it externally, you need to create a chunk to put it in (i.e. you need to

This isn't how things are found on a page of a critical edition, and it
seems misleading in a TEI text to create a paragraph solely for putting
an apparatus in.  So my question is, shouldn't <app> be essentially the
same as <note> or <witDesc>--that is to say an interlevel element that
can be placed anywhere within a <text>?

(Actually, I have problems with the whole m.edit class: we've had to
word-tags (where most corrections and deletions do, in fact, occur).
Since <w> is a phrase level tag, I guess this means we are making the
correction and deletion, etc. tags part of a "sub-phrasal" group if that
can exist.)

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Department of English