On 29 May 99, at 13:13, Chris Peters wrote:

>         I'm curious what the rest of you think about attaching a fictional
>         culture
> to your languges.  My language "Ricadh" so far has been mostly a

> culture.  Some of the most well-known conlangs out there (I think
of
> Quenya and Klingon specifically) have cultures associated with them, and
> that only adds to their strength.
>         But is it possible to go the other way?  To create a language for
>         its own
> sake?  What do the rest of y'all think?  How important is that conculture,
> as a part of the art of the conlang?

Well, most of my conlangs are based around cultures that are
much older - my brother & I started working on this world at least
10 years ago, maybe longer, but I didn't start on its languages until
1996.  Having ideas about the culture makes it easier to flesh out
the lexicon and semantics of a language (things people talk/think
about frequently tend to be lexicalized as root words, the more
frequent, the shorter) and may give hints about what grammar
would be appropriate as well.

But it is possible for one to start with a language and let the culture
grow up around it.  Esperanto is a good example, possibly Lojban
already fits this as well.

My current project {gzb} is a personal experiment; it is based on a
small but real culture, namely me.  I intended it for keeping journals
& writing notes to myself, so I lexicalize things I talk or think about
frequently as root words, etc.  I want to observe how the process of
making and using it affects me, though, so I'm building other basic
distinctions into its root lexicon that I normally wouldn't make when
speaking my idiolect of English or Esperanto.

Jim Henry III
http://www.pobox.com/~jim.henry/gzb/gzb.htm
*gjax zaxnq-box baxm-box goq.