Je 05:58 PM 6/14/99 -0700, Robert J. Petry, C.L. skribis:

>Charles wrote:
>
>> [kut]
>>
>> I still say, with today's greater understanding of language, we should
>> be able to design a better+simpler language. Maybe tomorrow.
>
>Ah, there's the rub, and the whole dang problem with IALers. It's always
>tomorrow, tomorrow, maybe there will be something tomorrow, la la la humm
>humm da dee da da da. Folks, we need to do something now. After almost 200
>years and still debating the useless???? Now is the time. Now is the day.
>Tomorrow is when and after we are all dead and gone a 1,000 years. It's
>time to do it now, and we have the necessary language now to start. These
>arguments just put it all off longer, and longer, and loonger, and
>looonger, and loooonger, and loooooooonnnnnggggeeeeer.=20

I'm with you, Bob.  Message to everyone:  Make a choice, and use it!  I
suppose there's room for the hobbiest/improverers, but without the users
it's all a lost cause and so much wasted time.  Read something in the IAL
of your choice today, use it in a conversation or email today.  Don't put
it off any longer!

>I can see the
>future Charles and Ken and Don and Bob and Bob and James and Robin, and
>Robin etc. etc. and the future maf still going at it in 3034ad with
>absolutely nothing accomplished because no one will get beyond k and c and

Take heart, Bob, that won't happen.  My prediction is that new IALs will be
invented, old ones revived, but none will make much headway, except
Esperanto, which will continue to grow.  Not as fast as I'd like, but I
don't get everything I want.  ;-)

Perhaps a mailing list like auxlang will always give the impression of
constant arguments and no change.  That's discouraging.  I hope this is no
one's steady diet.  For those beginning Esperanto, try one of the
alt.esperanto. newsgroups, or the mailing list
[log in to unmask] (I think it's
[log in to unmask] to subscribe) or even
soc.culture.esperanto. =20

Uzu la lingvon!

Ken

  | Ken CAVINESS           Physics at Southern Adventist University |
  | [log in to unmask]             ESPERANTO =3D Lingvo internacia |
  | http://southern.edu/~caviness/     E-o/English/Fran=E7ais/Deutsch |