On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, BP Jonsson wrote:

> At 19:49 +0200 22.6.1999, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> >Irish... Yes, now there's a language with a spelling that could have taught
> >Tson-mi Thang-bo-ta (the inventor of the Tibetan script) a lesson!
>
> He was Thon-mi Sam-Bho-ta (Sambho.ta being Sanskrit for "Tibetan" of course!)

I should have known - but I've got the slight problem that
my study has been converted to a lumber room!

> In Thon-mi's day Irish spelling was much less un-phonetic, as was probably
> Tibetan.  There are still dialects (La-dwags, Kham &c.) which are much
> closer to the orthography than Hlasa is.

That's very likely, yes, although I've also read something to
the effect that a lot of Classical Tibetan spelling had very
little to with the actual pronounciation - but I can't find
my sources.

> BTW: would you be interested in my tone-spelling transcription of Tibetan?

Not only that - I would be very interested in any accurate
account of the pronounciation of a Tibetan dialect.

> /BP (aka Ngag-dbang sByin-pa)

Can't match that, I'm afraid!

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt