Sally Caves wrote:

> But if it's just coincidence, then why the switch with a voweled script
> to LTR?  Actually, I think the smudge theory is the soundest.

It wasn't truly simultaneous.  Greek was first RTL, then boustrophedon
(as someone pointed out), then RTL.  Etruscan adapted its alphabet
from Greek during the RTL period, and most inscriptions are RTL,
though usually LTR forms (or Latin transliterations!) are used
nowadays.  The latter-day alphabets (Latin, Cyrillic, Armenian,
Georgian) are naturally all LTR.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              [log in to unmask]
   Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,