Patrick Dunn wrote:
> Other languages do this for the formal second person, too.  eg. usted.
> There are also Japanese pronouns, I remember reading, that began as third
> person but became used as polite second persons.

Every one of the first and second person pronouns.  Boku (I), for
instance, originally meant "servant", while _wata(ku)shi_ (also "I")
originally meant something like "private".  _Kimi_ (you) meant "lord".
Basically, the second person pronouns were exalting, first humbling.
But, over time, they lost their exalting/humbling status, and new
pronouns were formed, and so on.  If Japanese ever had "normal" first
and second person pronouns, they were lost long ago, much like how
Brazilian Portuguese has lost "tu" and "vos" (?) in recent times.

--
Happy that Nation, - fortunate that age, whose history is not diverting
-- Benjamin Franklin