[log in to unmask] writes:
>Yeah, it seems to occur on this side of the pond as well, at least in my
>dialect, altho there are some situations where "man" for a female
>doesn't sound right, but I can't figure out what the pattern is.

How about the use of "Dude". I must admit i do use that, but thats only in
conversation with friends as slang. However, people from Southern
California at my school use it FAR too often. They say things like:

Dude! I met this fukkin awsome dude who like gave me the phone number to
another dude, and dude get this, this dudes gonna give me a free
surfboard. Damn dude, i bet u cant believe that dude, or me, dude!

Well the above is over exaggeration but it could be possible here LOL.

                    "Bailando en el fuego con un gran deseo" - India