John Cowan wrote:

> Matt Pearson wrote:
>
> > How, for instance, could you express
> > something like "John is not my brother" or "It didn't rain yesterday"?
>
> "What is love of my country?  Is it hatred of my un-country?"
>         -- Therem Harth rem ir Estraven,
>            _The Left Hand of Darkness_

Yahooo!  Huzzah!  right on the button, John!  I love this passage from
Le Guin.
For those unfamiliar with The Left Hand, this entire book is about the
conundrum of polarities.  I love the way you can just reach into your
store of literary quotations and pull something out of the hat like
that.

YES!
Sally

> --
>         John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      [log in to unmask]
> Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,
> Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
>                         -- Coleridge / Politzer

I'm afraid I like it better in English