[log in to unmask] writes:
>Do the rest of you start with this kind of harcore linguistics
>description and proceed to specific words, or vice versa, or somewhere
>in between, or some cycle between the two, or something entirely
>different?  Where did your words come from?
>
>I'm curious how other people work, especially people who, like me, do
>not have a really hardcore linguistics background with exposure to a
>lot of natlangs and formal descriptions thereof.

My 2 centavos....

Well i dont have any training linguistically, so i'm not up to par on all
of these discussions on linguistic terms (Like the recent mediopassive
thread), which is why i dont usually participate much in them. For my
languages i kind of pick and choose features i like. As for words, i use
natlangs that have word construction i like, and follow its "pattern". For
instance, Tagalog, which is where i derived the words for my most recent
conlang, I noticed tagalog seems partial to K, N, Ng, A. So, most of my
words have those sounds.  For me its mostly just making up a word and
seeing in my mind if it sounds right, if it doesnt i tweak it a bit. Its a
bit ofg a long process, but its better than having words that dont sound
right.

                    "Bailando en el fuego con un gran deseo" - India