Kristian Jensen wrote:
> dialect called Cavite=F1o. (Chavacano is a Spanish creole spoken in the
> Philippines). He taught me some Cavite=F1o, and the word order is NOT S=
VO.
> Its consistently VSO.

Fascinating.  I had a suspicion that there would be exceptions.  Thank
you.  I take it that the substrate language(s)' word order is also VSO?

>      ta     come usted ba

Do you know the origin of this _ta_ and _ba_?  _ta_ looks like it might
be connected with _est=E1_.

>      ta     habla elle chavacano contigo

Interesting, it actually borrowed the form _contigo_?  I would've
thought that they'd simply say _con tu_ or _con usted_.

>      na      sabe el  mga chiquitos aquel como habla chavacano

_na_ and _mga_?  Those can't be from Spanish, can they?  Are they
borrowed from the substrate lang, do you know?

Speaking of creoles, I've read of a language in Per=FA called _Media
Lengua_ or "Little Quechua" (Quechua pequen~a?).  Nearly all the lexical
items are Spanish, and almost without exception the Quechua loan-words
also exist in the local dialect of Spanish, but the grammar is entirely
from Quechua, including inflections.  For instance, _yota_ means "me",
_yo_ from Spanish _yo_, meaning "I", and -ta the Quechua suffix
indicating accusative.  I forget other examples.  Verb stems are taken
from the Spanish infinitive with the -r dropped.

--=20
"[H]e axed after eggys: And the goode wyf answerde, that she coude not
speke no Frenshe ... And then at last a nother sayd that he woulde haue
hadde eyren: then the goode wyf sayd that she vnderstood hym wel." --
William Caxton
http://members.tripod.com/~Nik_Taylor/Conlang/W.html
http://members.tripod.com/~Nik_Taylor/Books.html
ICQ: 18656696