From: Virgil Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PED-EM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 1999 5:11 PM
Subject: billing for sedation

> I have a billing question for those who are performing deep sedation (i.e.
> ketamine, brevital, propofol, etomidate) for procedures in the ED/CT/etc.
>
> How are those of you in academic centers coding/billing for these, esp in
> the following circumstances.
>
> 1) when you both supervise the sedation and the procedure

99141 is the applicable code along with the procedure code.

> 2) when another service (i.e. othopedics) does the procedure and you
> provide sedation

You can use the anesthesia codes with the 52 modifier, because in effect,
you are indeed providing the same level of service.

3) when you sedate for an imaging study, i.e. CT scan and actually travel
> with the patient.

Again 99141 is applicable with complete conscious sedation monitoring as
outlined by your hospital's protocol. I would recommend adhering to the AAP
and ASA guidelines for pediatric sedation outside the traditional OR
setting.

> Our billers here don't feel that we can code for anesthesia services
except
> as a modifier to the procedure, unfortunately this money is collected
often
> by another dept (i.e. ortho, radiology, etc) that does the major
procedure.
>  Is anyone using misc. codes or critical care codes, or etc and getting
> paid for these sedations?

You might want to check with say Radiology. I would speculate that for their
intra-departmental sedations, they are using similar CPT codes. The new
conscious sedation coding guidelines should  clarify all your concerns.