I have used this technique for 2 years now with great success on children as
young as 6 months old.
Mix 1/4 inch of Nitropaste with about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of EMLA in a slurry,
apply to the area and cover with an occlusive dressing and a warm towel.
You have good anesthesia in 15-20 min. You can use the nitropaste with the
EMLA patches as well. The vein is usually dilated and much easier to
cannulate.  Works well for LP's too.
Alan
        Alan D. Clark, M.D.,FACEP
        Section Chair
        St. John's Emergency and Trauma Center
        Springfield, Missouri
        Medical Editor
        Practical Reviews Forensic Medicine and Sciences

        http://www.ERworld.com (personal Web site)

How did a MRI scanner save Napoleon Bonaparte from certain death? Find out
now in the
                       pages of Time Shear, the novel, by Alan Clark, M.D.
Available @ http://www.1stbooks.com and
                       coming soon to paperback.
                                      When you control time and space, the
only obstacle that remains is fear! ............