If we do the sedation but another service provides the procedure ( ie ortho)
we bill the anesthesia codes. We also bill an E&M code appropriate to the
level of service ( usualy 99284- based on the need for presedation
evaluation HX&PE  and then post sedation monitoring)

Now if a resident performs the procedure under my supervison, and they are
rotating in the department ( ie pediatric resident ) then I bill the
conscious seation code  ( 99141 0r 99142 --at least  I think those are the
codes )

For those kids who go to CT/ XR and get sedated by me pror to going, but I
do not attend the patient in the radiology department, i do not bill for the
sedation. IF I am needed to go, I increase the E&M level, and might bill the
conscious sedation codes, if there is not anesthesia codes appropriate for
te radiology study. SOmetimes there is no clear way to bill for the sedation
and so we don't.

Good luck..

Of course Jeff Linzer is on this list and I would bow to him.

Martin herman,M.D.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: