Propofol is an ideal choice for this, especially if you desire a fairly
motionless child. (LD 1-2 mg/kg & you could set up an syringe infusion pump
@ 50-75 mcg/kg/min if it takes longer than 10 -12 min,and titrate to
maintain sedation without airway compromize).

Most head CT's are usually less than 10 minutes with helical scanners. If
you don't have an IV, I tend to use IM Pentobarb(Nembutal).

Jay Pershad, MD
"PEM -pal"

Subject: Re: Head CT

> Just as an aside - how do members of the list sedate small children for CT
> head. My practice has been general anaesthetic or nothing. Thus when
> calculating risks I have to factor in the risk of sedation/anaesthesia.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: