Dr. Nikolaus Lutz-Dettinger escribi=F3:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> does really nobody except Jay Pershad (thanks) have any opinions
> about the diagnostic workup of SIDS, or is everybody on holiday?

No, we are not on holidays, regretfully.
The thing is that, as far as I am aware of, SIDS protocols have more a fo=
rensic side than an
ICU-EM interest.

> 1) do you do chemistry on blood? fetal hemoglobin? others (apart from
> bloodcultures)? did it ever lead you to some worthwhile conclusion?

Yes, we do carry out as many chemistries as each and every situation allo=
ws. However, should the
infant is brought to the ER by some offical authority, police or the like=
, in Spain it becomes
instantly a court case, and is the judge or the forensic doctors (who dep=
end directly of the
judges orders) who carry whatever work up is to be done.

> 2) does anybody take vitreous humour? for which analysis?

No, we do'nt

> 3) do you do a chest Xray (apart from the babygram) and which normal
> postmortem changes have to be taken into account on the chest Xray?

Yes, if the situation allows it.

> 4) do you do funduscopy and which normal postmortem changes
> have to be taken into account on the funduscopy?

No.

> 5) do you do a brain-CT in every case?

Not in every case.

> 6) any other special suggestions?

Lets keep talking about it.

Xallue
Pediatric service
Hospital Universitari de Tarragona Joan XXIII
Tarragona, Spain

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: