Attention all who will be attending the ACEP national assembly meeting in
Las Vegas in October.  We are putting on a Pediatric Procedure Lab on
Wednesday October 13.  The lab will be offered three times on Wednesday, two
hours each.  0800-1000,  1230-1430, and 1500-1700.   We have taught this
hands-on procedure lab several times now and it's been very well recieved.
The course consists of short lectures on peds airway managment and on
vascular access, and hands-on skill stations.  The stations include:

1. Bag-valve mask ventilation with mannequins

2. Intubation with mannequins

3. Needle cricothyrotomy with pig tracheas (we teach various methods of
hooking up the needle catheter to wall oxygen since that is what most ED's
have to use)

4. Pediatric percutaneous chest tubes using turkeys

5. Intraosseous lines using chicken legs +/- mannequins

6. Umbilical lines using fresh human umbilical cords in baby bottles (we've
tried bovine cords but they are not even close to human-like)

7. Esophageal foreign body removal using a Foley catheter in pig esophaguses

8. Dermabond using hot dogs, pig feet, or rubber blocks

9. Considering adding a saphenous cutdown or central line station??????

We like to teach this course with at least one instructor per station.  The
course is limited to 30 students in each session.  Handouts are already
made.  Equipment already available (I am driving it to Vegas).  Pig parts,
umbilical cords (Vegas hospital) will be taken care of.

What I need help with is INSTRUCTORS!!!!!!   I would like to utilize people
who are already going to ACEP assembly who would volunteer to be the
instructor for one station for one session, that way no one except a core
group needs to be there all day long.  This course is really well done and
the students love it.  I am asking this group for help because I know I will
find very experienced people who will have a lot to offer the studens in the
class.  Everything will be arranged ahead of time so all the instructors
need to do is show up.  You will be sent ahead of time a copy of the
hand-out we give to the students and what the teaching points are about your
particular station.  We've taught this course now at California-ACEP meeting
twice, and several national emergency conferences including in Hawaii and
Chicago.  We want this to be a success at national ACEP so it can be an
on-going course offered every year.

Please contact me if you are interested in helping out.  The more highly
interested people involved the better the course.   Thanks again for your help.

Maureen McCollough
OliveView-UCLA Med Center
home   310-474-6417
work   818-364-3297