Kuty:

(snip, blue hole)
> >However, if you are a diver who knows your limits and
> >dives within them, the Blue Hole is a very safe dive and can
> >be dived by almost any level of diver as long as they don't
> >get vertigo!
>
>And as long as they keep an eye on their depth gauge and don't try to go
>deeper than they should, according to their own limits.

This is very true and reminds me of what happened once when I was on the
Hole.  One time I was diving it with my instructor buddy Chris, a
newly-minted Advanced diver Katie, her DM and a friend of my friend who had
an underwater video camera.  He descended first and filmed us all as we
exited the chimney, then Chris and I followed, then the DM and then the
Advanced diver, Katie.

Chris exited just before me and hovered perfectly, keeping his gauges in
hand.  I exited and decended about a meter right away before catching myself
and going to join Chris.  We started along the wall and didn't see the DM
and Katie exit.

When we came back from the dive we watched the video and I saw what the DM
started to freak about as he and Katie took their kit off.  Turns out that
Katie was SERIOUSLY negatively boyant, and all you can see on the video is
her exiting the chimney and plunging from the top of the screen to the
bottom, with the DM frantically finning after her to grab her tank and pull
her back up.  It looked almost funny on the screen but was a potentially
very dangerous situation as she descended about 15 meters in a matter of
seconds.  In a situation like that, when you have nothing to gauge where you
are except that little computer in your palm, it's easy to see why so many
people die at the Blue Hole every year.  Gives you a new respect for the
sport.

Regards
Kat.