On 01 September 1999 14:16, Kent Lind wrote:

(Good stuff snipped)

> Oxygen cleaning is a whole different subject.  You can find megabytes on
this
> subject in the techdiver archives.  Personally I keep all my tanks clean
and
> only use an oil free compressor so I can put any gas into any tank.  But
then
> I fill my own tanks.  The only first stages I clean are the ones I use on
100%
> O2 deco bottles.  I don't clean any second stages, even the ones I use for
> 100% O2 deco.

If you're interested, I can post you privately a lengthy article written by
a partner of mine about his first hand experience of an O2 explosion.  It's
certainly given me cause to be more cautious!  :-)

>I've never seen anything to suggest that low pressure (140
psi)
> oxygen is a safety issue.  And, I've never seen or heard any evidence to
> suggest that nitrox below 40% requires  any additional cleaning of
regulators.

Likewise, I've never seen or heard any evidence to show that it doesn't!
:-)

Even NASA - after submitting purposely contaminated regulators to every sort
of impact and harsh treatment imaginable while using high concentrations of
O2 .  And without incident - took the cautious view and recommended O2
cleaning.

While several of the Training Agencies suggest that 40% is "OK", they also
cover themselves by saying, "or follow manufacturer's recommendations", in
regards to, for example, regulators.

In that regard, it's been my experience that - to play safe and cover
themselves - most manufacturers will recommend O2 cleaning if the item is to
be used in situations where the O2 exceeds 22%.

Strike