Hey Art!!!

Art Greenberg wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Carl G. Heinzl wrote:
>
> > > Not unreasonable. OTOH, I would service my regulators before an expensive
> > > dive vacation anyway, especially if the location was remote enough to have
> > > concerns about the availability of repair parts or services. And I would
> > > carry a spare.
> >
> > I personally would NEVER have them serviced immediately before a trip
> > UNLESS I had the chance to put on at LEAST several dives before hand.
> > I have personally been the "victim" of a set of bad HP seats that
> > were in existence a few years ago.  Fortunately I had a sufficient
> > number of other regs (that were not serviced) that I simply switched
> > them out.
>
> Note the absence of the word "have" between "would" and "service" in my
> statement above. I do this myself. I am at least an order of magnitude
> more anal about regulator service than the guy who taught me - and he is
> very, very thorough.

> And I never did use "immediately", though I could understand its
> implication by ommission.

Sorry about reading too much into it.  You should have added that you
do your own service too - there's  big difference there!

> I agree, Carl. I always put a few dives on them after a service, before
> anything critical. That's what the local shop's swimming pool and the
> nearby quarry are for.

Yep, that is reasonable.  I always take a rebuild kit along with
me on vacation, unfortunately, in the case I mentioned, having a
spare set didn't help (it had a bad HP seat too)!!!  And in this
case I did put on half a dozen dives - the HP creep only happened
to show up after a few dives and didn't occur until the 3rd day
of the trip!  Fortunately not all my regs were from the same
manufacturer.

Carl