Thanks for the great info!

> If you're planning on diving nitrox why not consider having all of your
> regulators and cylinders O2 cleaned.  (As a matter of interest, since you
> asked the question, which regulator did you use on your 'uncleaned'
> cylinder? Was it the same as the one you used on your nitrox cylinder?)

SSI goes by the 40% rule, so if your EAN is less than 40% O2, you don't need
your regulators cleaned. In addition, the dive shop in North Carolina (USA)
that I got nitrox certed on used EAN30 premix, so we didn't even have to get
the tanks cleaned. Now that I'm back, I'm thinking of getting one tanked O2
cleaned and keeping the other "dirty" since air fills are $3 and nitrox
fills are $7 and there's no point in wasting nitrox on the shore dives here.

Or I could get both tanks cleaned and fill up with hydrocarbon free (HF)
air, which I think is $5 a fill....

> Some people claim that O2 cleaning is unnecessary, others maintain that in
> any application where O2 content is greater than 21%, regulators and
> cylinders should be duly cleaned.   If, for example, your local filling
> station employs an oil-free compressor and offers nitrox then have both
> cylinders and regulators cleaned as a matter of course.  Providing that you
> continue to have your cylinders filled at a station offering that service
> you have the choice of using either air or nitrox!  :-)

i understand that tanks need to get cleaned when they are filled using
partial pressure/blending, since pure O2 travels through them; but I think
the 40% rule is reasonable for the regulators since they are only in contact
with mildly hyperoxic gases. I doubt I'll dive on anything higher than EAN32
anyway...

Perhaps if I was rich enough to own more than two regulator sets (i have one
reg for my pony too) then I could dedicate one to nitrox and not worry about
dirty air fills when travelling....

But in all, I'm lucky enough to be in a region where I get the choice of
air, HF air, nitrox in any blend I want, or trimix (if I ever go that scary
route).

Karen