On 02 September 1999 18:30, Kat Blessin wrote:

(snip)

> >'Deserted'!  Bloody hell!  That Naval base had a very special place in
the
> >hearts of sailors.  It used to be the base where all of the UK based
ships
> >did their work-up trials.  Six weeks of constant exercises to meet every
> >conceivable situation, from simulated attacks by aircraft and submarines
> >through to damage control and fire-fighting.
>
> (snip of Strike's memories of the good OLD days)

'OLD"???  Kat!  I'll have you know that within this %# year old shell lives
the body and mind of a youthful super-hero!  :-)

> I'm very sorry to let you know that the base is nothing more than shells
of
> buildings at this point.  They are trying to rejuvinate it by bringing in
> companies like Fathom and Blue, but it's been rough going from what I see.

> The main tennant is a prison ship that holds a few thousand low-grade
> criminals,  (snip)

Phew!  That's a relief to hear.  For a moment I thought things had changed!
:-)

> My step father feels much the same way you do.  He was once a navy diver
in
> another life and remembers Portland well.

Kat!!!  As one of that elite, noble, charismatic,
last-of-the-red-hot-lovers, tap-dancing, bare knuckle fighting and good
looking breed, he'd  probably be disappointed in your spelling 'navy diver',
in anything other than an upper case Capital 'N'!  :-)

(snip)

> >Kat!  I thoroughly enjoyed your report and look forward to reading more
of
> >them.

> Thanks Strike, I hope I can write more soon.  If you *really* enjoyed it,
> feel free to donate any diving dosh my way. If you do that, I'll write you
> your own bloody song if you want me to...! ;)

A song, you say!

"I'm a diver.  I'm a diver.
And although my job is risky.
I wouldn't mind being a diver bold,
If they filled the sea with whisky"        :-)

Take care - and look forward to more of your travel reports!  :-)

Strike