"Raymond A. Brown" wrote:

> Nothing to do with cases - "He gave biscuits to I" or "He gave I biscuits"
> would immediately be regarded as uneducated, rustic speech & be greeted by
> the same speakers with derision.  It's simply petit bourgeois
> pretensiousness which thinks "X and I" is polite in all contexts, "X and
> me" is impolite and "me and X" is downright vulgar.
>
> I'm sorry to learn that democratic and, supposedly, classless America is
> also succumbing to this pretensious nonsense.

Alas, if only it were so.  It was probably a highly accurate
description back in the 1830s, when Alexis de Tocqueville
was writing, but today, in material terms, America is more
class-differentiated than ever. However, class barriers tend
much more to be financial than social -- it's the difficulty of
finding a job that pays $100k or more a year, not your
parents' pedigree, that blocks entry into the upper classes.

Tom Wier <[log in to unmask]>
ICQ#: 4315704   AIM: Deuterotom
Website: <http://www.angelfire.com/tx/eclectorium/>
"Cogito ergo sum, sed credo ergo ero."

Denn wo Begriffe fehlen,
Da stellt ein Wort zur rechten Zeit sich ein.
   -- Mephistopheles, in Goethe's _Faust_