At 13:29 21/09/99 -0400, Carl wrote:

>Since we're picking nits I have to disagree with your
>statement.
>
>I have done many "stage bottle" dives in which the stages
>were used to extend bottom time.

I agree with you and with Maria.  The question is one of definition.  I was
refering to "stage" tanks in the context of open water diving.  In this
context, there is no difference between "stage" and "deco".  I was not
aware of the different terminology in cave diving because I don't do real
cave diving.

If we are picking nits [;-)  ], you can claim that every tank you take (or
leave at different locations along your way, to collect later) is there to
extend your bottom time.  If you want to extend your bottom time, you
sometimes have to do longer deco stops so the deco tanks are there for the
same reason as all the others.

I guess the only thing that is accepted by all is that a pony bottle is the
one you take with you, beside your main gas sorce (single, double, etc.),
to be used for bail out.  Its use as a bottom time extender can be
attributed to the fact (as I pointed out before) that every kind of tank
you use, can eventually contribute to that :-)

With best regards,

                       Kuty