Dear Bjorn,

At 07:15 AM 9/23/99 +0700, Bjorn Vang Jensen wrote:

>I know all about Karl Shreeves' and his agency's previous aversion to EAN,
>and I, too, find it ironic that Karl has now become the tect-diving poster
>boy for the same agency, always providing articles on his latest cave diving
>exploits et cetera. In fairness, however, that was the prevailing attitude
>of ALL the recreational agencies at the time, agreed to within the
>Recreational Scuba Training Council, so at least spread the blame farily,
>please :-)

        Yes indeed, I just finished reading Karl Shreeves' article in the current
_Skin Diver_ entitled "Fit for Tek," FUC5.1.  Overall, I think that PADI
offers a fair priced products in the dive industry, and I even became one
of their members.  Nonetheless, after being lectured on several occasions
in the past about the dangers of nitrox by PADI and PADI instructors I
found the adoption of a new set of principles in the absence of any new
discoveries about nitrox other than there was money to be made giving
instruction on its use disheartening.  Also at the time of my inquiries,
NAUI had already begun to offer nitrox course,  but since NAUI is not well
represented where I live, I ended up with a long trip to take a nitrox
course and a lot of irritation at what I saw as PADI's willful
dissemination of disinformation.

>I am a great believer in the value of professional training materials, and
>being familiar with the material used in the 3 dominant recreational EAN
>courses, I think Karl's agency's material is head and shoulders above the
>competition.
>
>The video isn't a taped TV-display of PowerPoint slides, but professionally
>prepared, and the books and flipcharts aren't obviously prepared in MS Word,
>nor do they read more like the a mixture of the memoirs of the authors and a
>pseudo-scientific paper than a diving course manual. Both also contain all
>you need to know about recreational EAN diving, and don't make it the rocket
>science that it isn't :-)

        Actually, I have the opposite opinion about the TDI and IANTD introductory
manuals (and thus probably would about the recreational
EAN courses).  I wanted to see all the available data on ox tox hits to
better assess my risks and felt that the 80 pages in the TDI manual and the
117 in the IANTD manual weren't as data laden as I would have preferred
particularly given the difficulty of finding additional information.  In
fairness though, both these tek agencies' manuals did/do(?) offer
bibliographies.

>Lest I be acused of bias (which in this case would be unfair), my first EAN
>certification was also from one of the tech agencies. You had to REALLY want
>to learn, because the course material certainly didn't make you want to, nor
>did it facilitate learning, IMO :-)

        In that respect, you're probably right in implying that most recreational
divers would prefer a nitrox course that is easily mastered with a minimum
of extra information.  Except for that damned wheel, PADI is good at
distilling out the essential material that a person must know for safety's
sake and putting it into a palatable form, and it deserves and gets my
applause for its excellence in this area.

DPTNST,

John