Dave DeBarger wrote:

> Looks as though the "Australian Shark" and "Stage vs. Pony Bottle"
> threads have run out, so I'll pose a question I haven't seen here
> before:
>
> Our dive club has been invited to join a commercial operator in the
> Florida Keys for a weekend series of dives.  The series is planned for
> newbies and OW-only divers, and will consist of two-tank morning dives
> on two days.  Depth of the dives will not exceed 60 ft.
>
> Some of our more experienced divers asked about deeper dives, and were
> told that afternoon trips -- not part of the package being offered to
> the newbies -- would be run to the deeper sites.  So the question is: if
> one completes two shallow dives in the morning, (buddied with an OW-
> certified relative, say) would a deep afternoon dive then be an
> ill-advised reverse profile -- assuming a surface interval between
> morning and afternoon dives of three hours or more?  (For the purposes
> of this question let's assume typical recreational dives, not bounce
> dives.)
>
> Any thoughts on this?  Has anyone done a similar trip?

How deep is deep?  Personally, with a 3 hour SI, I wouldn't think
twice about doing a "deep" afternoon dive.  And, after the
"deep" dive you'll still in the neighborhood of 16+ hours SI
until the next morning dive - hell, I'd even stick in a night
dive here and there :^)

Of course you shouldn't do this unless you feel comfortable
about it and understand the issues/risks.

Carl