Today is one of these days.
At 11:00 I felt that the whole office is going crazy so I decided to take
the rest of the day off.  I clicked on the Isracam URL (you can check the
Israeli sea conditions in real time in that URL) and saw that the
Mediterranean is diveable (average wave 2 feet, maximum wave 3 feet).  A
few more knots to tie and I'm out.  The gear is in the trunk of the car
anyway.

11:30 I start driving.
12:30 I'm on the beach, gearing up.
12:35 I notice that my computer is not in my dive bag.  <Darn, how many
times do I have to tell the little one not to mess with my gear>.  O.K.,
never mind, it's a shore dive, max depth 22'.  Computer is not needed.
Besides I have my faithful Aqualand for a bottom timer and a depth gauge.
12:40 I descend.

Visibility near the shoreline is about 25', not bad.  I start navigating
under the water but when I hit the reef (15') the vis drops to 5'.  O.k., I
know I can find my way, and I'm sure this is just a local problem.  I
continue to navigate according to my compass and I notice that the farther
I go, the worse the vis is.  When I get to 20', the vis is only 2'.

Well, nothing can stop me.  I keep on kicking and I check my old faithful
Aqualand every now and again.  At about 22' and 15 minutes into the dive, I
hit the wreck.  Actually, I can hardly tell that it is the wreck because
the vis is 2-3'.  I check my watch again.  Nothing.  The depth monitor is
dead.  The analog arms don't move.  Only one possible explanation.  It was
flooded.  Now, I am in about 20' of salt water, about 15-18 minutes into
the dive, with only my backup depth gauge on my combo.  No bottom timer.

I decided that with this kind of vis, and with no timer, there was no point
in continuing.  I took a direct course to the beach, according to my
compass (which still worked) and started swimming.  I guess It was not
meant to be a diving day after all :-)

With best regards,

                       Kuty