At 09:42 AM 9/24/99 -0400, Carl wrote:
>> The Nemesis croaked on the NEXT dive, counted as the 6th dive of the
>> day, ANOTHER reverse profile, to 145 fsw max!   This dive on the
>> Three Fathom Wall was the "fatal dive" that caused a prolonged flame
>> war on rec.scuba for MONTHS, led by Mike Cochran, his ad agent the
>> WetOne, and gang ... until the simulation results come in (all diagnosed
>> as NO DECO) and Cochran et al were finally flamed off the net, by
>> Carl <G> (while I was too busy diving!).
>
>Wow - that was some time ago.

That wuz just like yesterday!  :-)   With a semi-photographic memory and
a BHD, it wuz ... this morning!  <BG>

>I believe I did have a bit of help from you! :^)

Ahem.  :^)   You can say THAT again.   I have to admit, Carl was the
FIRST to trust my judgment and explanation on the facts when the case
first broke in rec.scuba (Jan 1995) and even offered to do some
simulation on his Suunto Alpha.   BUT, with Cochran, the WetOne, and
others wielding BIG LIES on the net, even Carl got a bit worried :^)
that he may be backing the wrong pony <G> ...

So, da Feeesh was there, with his Conan sword, battling a multitude
crooks and clueless newbies (about computers) from all sides like a
Lone Ranger for about a couple of months ... UNTIL I finally got
the technicians in ORCA and UWATEC to conduct the definitive
simulations and posted the results on the net.

THEN, the tide began to turn and my summer diving-spree started
in May.  THAT was when Carl came in for the KILL (to his credit)
while the WetOne continued stabbing me on the back in my absence.  :^)

Carl's invention of the method of conversion of the Nemesis computer
to a piece of lead for the weightbelt (by drilling holes in it and
filling it with lead) remains a CLASSIC today. :-)

>The funny thing was that the WetOne
>(Bill Thackery, who just happens to be with Peter Ready's
>rebreather company now - BEWARE!!!) would pop up in different
>venues everytime someone complained about a Cochran computer.

Interesting!   I only knew that the WetOne had munged and deleted
ALL his posts in rec.scuba so that there is no longer any trace of
his laughable lies except for what I have in my BHD!   :-)

I have met many morons and tree stumps in my days, but Bill Thackery
definitely stands head and shoulders BELOW most morons.  :-)

>He'd *ALWAYS* say - "That's the FIRST time I've heard about
>a complaint against the Cochran Computer - I've done over
>600 dives with one - ah yadda yadda", and every time he
>poked his head up I'd remind him of recent complaints on
>the techdiver list, compuserve (someone there fed me the
>information) or elsewhere in which someone complained
>and he'd said the SAME thing.  Either he has amnesia or
>he just lies a lot.

No, back in those days, having come out of an ad agency for
a car dealership, he thought the internet was like suckers he
talked to as a car salesman -- that nobody remembers or keeps
records of anything (Cochran did that too) until he was
repeated reminded of his lies on record!

>Either way, I know one thing, I sure
>won't be diving ANY rebreather that HE is connected with.

I wouldn't use any product he GAVE it to me.  :-)

>Ole Mikey (Cochran) had promised to do the analysis of
>the dives (Feesh had sent him the profiles - or did you
>actually send him the computer so he could download
>them himself?) and post the results.

Exactly!   He thought he could lie about doing his simulation
and post his results to prove me wrong.  :-)  I gave him ALL the
detail profiles in 1994 -- he KNEW the defects even back then,
ceased PRODUCTION of the Nemesis PRO model in June 1994, all
the while flaming me and tried to lie his way out of what I posted
in Scuba-L about the defect. I SHOULD have sued him for "conspiracy,
slander, and outrage".  :-=)

It was his FAILURE to deliver the promised simulation result,
after ORCA and UWATEC had done theirs, that finally stopped the
wiggling and squirming of the Cockroaches on the internet!

>Funny, we never saw
>any posting of the results even though we asked for them
>for at least a couple of years.
>
>Carl

Hey, nobody is THAT stupid to give you a rope and say, "please
hang me!"   :-)   So, we used our own ropes, and he has built
such a reputation for himself that his bad reputation far
exceeded the bad quality of his products today!  I THINK he
actually has a pretty good Nitrox computer, but hey, even if
it's bullet proof and made by god, I ain't gonna use it if it
has the "Cockroach" name on it.  :^)

Ah, just another chapter in the annals of internet flamewars
to sort out facts from fictions!  :-)

-- Bob.