John Bird wrote:

> --- Karen Nakamura <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > hmmm... and how do they regulate against reverse profiles?
> >
> > it's almost worth carrying an analog depth gauge with a adjustable max-depth
> > dial just to placate the dms. keep the computer in your pocket.
>
> Uhhhh...that would be cheating!
> All boat dives in Queensland are logged for each diver and the use of computers
> is encouraged. Periodically they even want to see the read-out upon re-boarding
> the vessel. Any anomalies are usually discovered pretty quickly. (Like Birdo's
> faux pas that particular day!)

John,

In the boat I was on last May in Cairns, they actually required that you use a
computer ... there is no diving without it (I had to rent one!). The reason they
gave me for not allowing reverse profiles was that we will be out at sea and It
will take 2 hours to get to a chamber in case of an accident ...

Like you said they are kind of flexible, but the sites the choose most of the time
will not allow you to do reverse profiles and if there is a chance that you want a
deeper dive than the suggested profile for the 2nd or 3rd they remind you to reach
the max. depth in the initial descend ( so you see Fish there is a workaround ...)

Later,

Amyris.