Bjorn Vang Jensen wrote:
(snip)

> Can't give you the references, but I've read two similar stories in the last
> year or two, in diving magazines. One involved a virtually similar incident
> in the Red Sea, where silky sharks were the villains (and the guy had
> pictures), the other was from some island in the Sea of Cortez, with, I
> believe, bull sharks. Nasty stuff.

I guess all of us animals are the same. When there are enough of us the
worst comes out because, I suppose, there is safety in numbers. You,
Bjorn, Mika, J-M, etc, and I, are fairly conscious of language since
this one is not the one that we are "native" in. I say this, BTW, even
though my English today is significantly, hugely, better than my German.
Yet I think that I and others like me who are multilingual are more
conscious of language than monolinguals.

We've all heard of the "Ugly American, Frenchman, German, (alpha order,
thank you) whatever, take your pick" and we've seen most of them. These
are people who go somewhere in (relatively) large numbers and,
therefore, think that they can throw their weight around by dint of
numbers. Many years ago I went on a trip with a large group of
Australian runner type people, the Hash House Harriers, some of you will
know who these are and, I am almost certain, Bjorn and J-M will know who
these are. These Aussies started to throw their weight around when their
hosts were faltering in English. I kind of disabused them of this
attitude. Seriously so! :-7

Ob Scuba: seems as if our friends the sharks are likeminded and, indeed,
there are many, many *schools* of fish. These, it seems, are employed
either for defense or for attack. We all know that there seems to be
safety in numbers in either case.

The significant difference seems to be that predatory sharks (as against
the likes of whale sharks/basking sharks) do not COMMONLY appear to act
as a pack. We know that if there is a significant amount of food they do
tend to congregate (as do those previously mentioned sharks and their
like) but this is not the same thing as being in a pack _*with the
purpose of*_ HUNTING (or scaring the sh*t out of us defenceless divers
that love the blighters anyway). Or?

Incidentally DPTNST John has taken this story to Shark L and if there is
any definitive comment (I've rejoined that list for this purpose) I, or
he, will post it here. OK John? :-)

Christian