Hi list,

As far as the discussion went during my advanced nitrox course,
it is not the oxygen that is going to kill you at that ppO2, but the fact
that the convulsions resulting from that ppO2
will likely get your reg out of your mouth, resulting in drowning.
ppO2 = 3 ATA is used during hyperbaric treatments, if I listened careful
enough.
It won't kill you. The convulsions won't be something to look forward to,
but you won't drown, since you are not in the water !

> The point is that this is not a gas that one should keep
> in reserve to breath at a depth greater than 80'.  Since
> O2 Tox is related to PPO2, Time, and a whole host of
> other factors one cannot say if one will tox with this
> mix at 45m, but *I* certainly won't try it - that is
> unless my only other chance is death.  Remember - a long
> time ago a PPO2 of 3 ATA was the accepted limit - then
> it went down to 2 ATA, now the (almost universally)
> accepted limit for the working part of a dive is 1.4 PPO2
> (1.6 PPO2 for deco).
>
> Carl

Peter van Reeuwijk