For reasons that I do not know of, a couple of posts between myself and
Lee Bell were "private" when they should have been to the list.

The essentials are what follows, with appropriate initials "a la da
Feeeeesh" so you know who said what:

LB: I find it almost impossible to imagine that this was a training
failure.  I
> > find it a bit surprising but not impossible to imagine that this is a diver
> > failure.  PPO2 is so central to the issue of nitrox diving that I can't
> > conceive of how training could progress without including it.
> (snip)

CG: Au contraire, I find it quite easy to imagine that this was a training
> failure, as in the diver was insufficiently trained to properly take the
> concept on board but got signed off anyway.
>
> After all, s/he _had_ finished the course, as in attended. :-7
>
> I also find it quite easy to imagine that this person is now naive
> enough to imagine themselves as properly qualified.

LB: My course was TDI.  It took 4 hours from start to finish, all in one night.
> > All the material was there, but very little was actually learned during the
> > 4 hours.  No dives required.  Frankly, it was not much of a course, but it
> > was quick, cheap and resulted in the all important card.  The manual and
> > materials, on the other hand, are good enough to allow me to actually learn
> > what I need on my own.

CG: You have just proved to me (and to yourself) my original contention that
> dive courses today, of whatever persuasion, can be much too
> lackadaisical. You, Lee, are intelligent enough to understand when you
> do not know enough and to go about fixing the problem.

LB: It was proven to me a long time before this.  My course with TDI simply
> confirmed what I was already sure of.

CG: How many others do not? Including Strike's acquaintance.

LB: Way, way too many.  The problem is compounded by the agencies constant
> statement that diving is safe.  How is a new diver to understand the risks
> if they are not taught about them AND they are told not to worry because
> diving is safe.  It's only going to get worse.

Comments folks?

Cheers,

Christian