On 26 September 1999 16:31, Christian Gerzner wrote:

Lee Bell wrote:
> >> I find it almost impossible to imagine that this was a training
failure.  I
> > > find it a bit surprising but not impossible to imagine that this is a
diver
> > > failure.  PPO2 is so central to the issue of nitrox diving that I
can't
> > > conceive of how training could progress without including it.
> > (snip)

Christian:
>>Au contraire, I find it quite easy to imagine that this was a training
> > failure, as in the diver was insufficiently trained to properly take the
> > concept on board but got signed off anyway.

On what basis do you say that they were "insufficiently trained"?  :-)

The point that I was attempting to make had nothing to do with the calibre
of the training, but rather related to that individual's mental attitude
about diving and their apparent failure to understand the responsibility
that they had to themselves and to others with whom they might be diving.
(This person classes themself as a 'good' diver and frequently dispenses
advice to the "less-gifted"!)  :-)

> > After all, s/he _had_ finished the course, as in attended. :-7
> >
> > I also find it quite easy to imagine that this person is now naive
> > enough to imagine themselves as properly qualified.
>
> LB: My course was TDI.  It took 4 hours from start to finish, all in one
night.
> > > All the material was there, but very little was actually learned
during the
> > > 4 hours.  No dives required.  Frankly, it was not much of a course,
but it
> > > was quick, cheap and resulted in the all important card.  The manual
and
> > > materials, on the other hand, are good enough to allow me to actually
learn
> > > what I need on my own.
> >
> CG: You have just proved to me (and to yourself) my original contention
that
> > dive courses today, of whatever persuasion, can be much too
> > lackadaisical. You, Lee, are intelligent enough to understand when you
> > do not know enough and to go about fixing the problem.

> LB: It was proven to me a long time before this.  My course with TDI
simply
> > confirmed what I was already sure of.
> >
> CG: How many others do not? Including Strike's acquaintance.
> >
> LB: Way, way too many.  The problem is compounded by the agencies constant
> > statement that diving is safe.  How is a new diver to understand the
risks
> > if they are not taught about them AND they are told not to worry because
> > diving is safe.  It's only going to get worse.

> Comments folks?

Those TDI blokes must be great Instructors.  It takes me three class-room
sessions just to warm-up!  :-)

Strike