At 18:45 26/09/1999 +1000, Strike wrote:
>While they might have absorbed exactly what was required of them to pass the
>course, their actual interest in the subject may have been slight.  They
>either haven't bothered to maintain or improve their knowledge levels;  or
>they're conceited enough to believe that they've retained what they were
>taught; it may even have been two or more years since they completed a
>course,or last used nitrox.  As a consequence they have a card that
>proclaims them to be
>trained - and a knowledge level that suggests otherwise!

There in lies the problem.  Maybe if SCUBA qualifications were harder to
attain and required more commitment this wouldn't be such a problem.

Maybe dealing primarily with backpackers and tourists (the main type of
clientel we seem to get locally) I'm a bit biased.  But it seems to me a
lot view SCUBA as some adventure to try out (like bungie jumping).  Which
is fine, do a resort course and try it out (my first OW dive was for a
resort course 14-15 years ago).  But if you want to be a diver, capable of
diving independently without someone baby sitting you, make the time and
put in the effort to learn properly (and keep up to date).

More over keep learning.  I learnt something knew about DCS on the weekend
I wasn't aware of and I consider myself reasonable well read compared to
most.  It never ceases to amaze me how little even many Instructors or DM's
in the industry know.

Soap box mode OFF  :-)

Simon

Simon L Hartley
RSM Unit Web Administrator\First Year Course Coordinator
Associate Lecturer
School of Resource Science and Management
Southern Cross University
P.O. Box 157
Lismore NSW, Australia 2480
Ph: (02) 66203251 or (61 66) 203 251