At 11:28 27/09/1999 +1000, Strike wrote:
>It may not!  But the real question is:  Do you really want to teach and
help
>others?  Or do you want the imagined 'prestige'?  :-)

Come on now Strike.  The real question is does he want to get laid?  :-)

I'm not sure that I see much in the way of 'prestige' in being a dive
instructor.  To me it seems like a way of working in a nice  place doing
something that I (usually) enjoy.  Sometimes, from what I've seen, it is
a tedious job, e.g. when you have a snotty and stupid student or its the
15th OW course youve done that weekend . . . .

  I've done most of my training in the tropics (Jamaica, Seychelles,
Belize) and seen a lot of variation in quality between diving
instructors and a lot of predatory behaviour.  You see the same sort of
thing in higher education - powerful male figure that looks cool because
he is comfortable in an environment that the victim feels totally lost
in - bingo, bury the student in a Y-shaped coffin.  Maybe there should
be some code of conduct regulation for sharking behaviour?

I agree with Bjorgs' view that there are good and bad instructors as
with other walks of life and can see why he is irritated - Dive
instructors are easy targets.

Magnus