Print

Print


In <[log in to unmask]> dated Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:20:08 +1000, Christian Gerzner wrote:
 
> May I, ever so respectfully, suggest that history teachers usually are
> not in a position to kill you? :-)
 
Even when they might encourage one to venture into a country in search of
historical ruins without warning you about the unruly natives of the
present day that end up killing you?  :)
Is the history teacher really at fault? Did the history teacher encourage
safety evaluation during the instruction?
 
Like Bjorn and Strike have said earlier... it is way too easy to blame the
Instructor when things go wrong. It is entirely possible the Instructor
did all they could have done and the student/diver just did not apply what
they knew they should have done.
 
> My (independent) club has had a rule for several years now (understand
> that the club is entirely divorced from _any_ training agency, is
> entirely independent). It is that any, we do not care about C Cards/Log
> Books, whatever, new member is checked out by the more experienced
> divers of the club. THEN, and ONLY THEN, do we decide on that diver's
> level of expertise. In our experience its a pretty bloody good rule!
> Mainly because it has worked, every time.
 
And what in the above ensures better results than the review of a diver's
certification and logbook while speaking with them?
I suggest that the result is in fact directly related to the divers
experience rather than the method of review.
 
I guess we are back to the old "this is the way we do it and therefore it
is the only right way of doing it."
I don't believe that watching a divers performance is by itself
necessarily a better way of evaluating their ability.... does the type of dive
done during this evaluation not have a real bearing on one's assessment
results?
I can easily see a scenario when a logbook and discussion with a diver
about specifics could give me a lot more 'real' information than just
watching them on the next dive.
 
Is it fair for me to conclude that the above club evaluation system does
not immediately expose the diver to a level of difficulty above their
experience level? Since the certification & logbook are ignored I guess we
could have an incident during that evaluation dive!  ;)
 
> Bjorn, as you say, there are instructors and there are instructors. Just
> like the bad of everything there are bad here, as you acknowledge.
 
Ah you agree, so what makes your club evaluators all good?
I suggest it is back to... 'it is our way so it must be OK.'
 
> Its just that, IMO and , no, its not humble, there are TOO MANY bad
> instructors out there. This would be acceptable BUT ONLY if they were
> teaching the aforementioned history rather than the use of a life
> support system.
 
I am sure you have no real basis for this conclusion.
I could be equally correct in saying there are more dangerous clubs using
their non standard evaluation methodology than bad Instructors!
I have no facts to back that statement up even though I have seen my share
of club divers that scared me.
 
 
--
Michael