Strike wrote:

snip

>An Instructor rating is certainly not - to my way of thinking - the
ultimate
>badge of distinction as a diver! The good, enthuse students with a desire
to improve their >diving skills by practice and encourage in them the
desire to learn more.  Either through
>self-study; by asking questions; or by seeking formal advanced training in
>areas of special interest from those who are suitably qualified.  As a
>generalisation, a good instructor is one who continues to learn and who
gets
>a warm glow when a student surpasses them in terms of diving ability and
>knowledge!  :-)

I agree. I also think there are some absolutely brilliant divers out there,
who would make lousy instructors, but there are also people who may not be
as good a diver, but they are gifted at instruction. I'm not saying that
they are bad divers, because a bad diver will make a bad instructor, but
they don't need to be the 'ultimate' diver. They need to be able to
demonstrate good skills, and to pass that knowledge on. There may be other
divers that can perform those skills even better, but not be able to pass
them on, or demonstrate them.

>>  I'd like to do my instructors ticket but am wary because I
>> don't believe that I yet have the competence as a SCUBA instructor to do
>> it well.  I doubt whether that would stop me from qualifying though . .

>It may not!  But the real question is:  Do you really want to teach and
help
>others?  Or do you want the imagined 'prestige'?  :-)

Well, I think if Magnus is aware enough of his own capability limitations
to question his current competence to be an instructor, then he is probably
ahead of some people that are already instructors. I really think that
someone that can sit back and objectively say 'I still have weakness's in
area xxx' is probably already a better diver than a lot of the instructors
turned out by some of the factories.

Anyone that is doing it for the prestige is dangerous. Like Magnus, I've
been thinking about this a bit later. I've just completed my Rescue Course,
and I have all the course materiel for DM, I'll be starting that next week.

At only 60 dives, I don't feel that I'm any where near ready to be an
instructor, yet I know that my diving experience is more varied than many
of the DM's I've meet on the GBR. I learnt to dive in South Oz, did my
Advanced on the Yongala, and my Rescue in Tasmania, where it actually
hailed whilst we were in the water, and the temp was around 8 degrees C,
and the water was extremly choppy and the vis about 5 feet. Some of these
WWW DM's went from advanced to DM in the space of a couple of weeks, and
would have practiced their searchs in 30 meter viz, their recusitation on
millpond flat water, with tempratures in the 20 degree mark.

>(There should be enough sparks in that little lot to start a few
>bush fires!) :-)

Did you hear about the guy they found in a wetsuit after a bush fire? No,
true story, happened to a guy from SCUBA-L.......

Craig