Craig wrote,

>At only 60 dives, I don't feel that I'm any where near ready to be an
instructor,<

Probably true.

> yet I know that my diving experience is more varied than many of the DM=
's
I've meet on the GBR.<

Probably true, as well.

>> I learnt to dive in South Oz, did my Advanced on the Yongala, and my
Rescue in Tasmania, where it actually
hailed whilst we were in the water, and the temp was around 8 degrees C,
and the water was extremly choppy and the vis about 5 feet<<

Probably true, too. Yet, the fact remains, that with 60 dives you are sti=
ll
a beginner. So why shoot for the DM card right now? Sure enough, all the
agencies hand those out freely, and today it is really nothing but a "mer=
it
badge" for new divers. Don't kid yourself that it will gain you much
respect "out there", except among other new divers.

If taught properly, it can be a very useful course, though. But if it onl=
y =

takes a week or two, then forget about it, it will just give you another
card. =

>Did you hear about the guy they found in a wetsuit after a bush fire? No=
,
true story, happened to a guy from SCUBA-L.......<

Yes, we already knew that, and many of us are, in fact, long-time members=

of "Fire Diving Clubs". Of course *we* never end up charred in the forest=
,
like that rookie with his 60 fire dives, who thought he knew it all.

michael =