> Thanks Carl.  So I should dig out that old steel 72 of
> mine & get the appropriate EAN mix and hang it under
> my left armpit as a stage bottle?
> Ed

no problem... :^)

First, you don't hang it under your armpit.  Using
the proper equipment (harness/backplate - no "pseudo
tek BC") - a proper stage bottle clips off on a left
chest D ring and a left waist D ring.  The second
stage bottle clips off on the *same* D rings.

That old steel 72 makes a good O2 bottle,
especially for cave diving, but it's FAR more than
you  should need in the open ocean.  It would be
a good tank to fill with O2 and leave on board the
boat in case you need it there though!!!
A 45 is a more appropriate size.  I wouldn't use an
LP steel as a stage bottle, it doesn't have the
best bouyancy characteristics.  Aluminum bottles are
typically the best bottles to use for stages
since their bouyancy centers around neutral
(i.e. full they're about 3 lbs neg, empty about
3 lbs pos for an AL 80).  Of course, an AL40
would go -1.5 to +1.5 - and AL 40's are pretty
nice bottles to use as stages in the open water.
They're small enough to be handled easily.

There aren't many dives you couldn't do with
a set of double 80's on your back, one stage
AL40 for travel gas (probably EAN36 or something
like that), and an O2 bottle.

Of course I wouldn't advocate stage bottle diving,
different mixes, deco diving, etc unless you've been
properly trained/etc...

Carl