Fins are an interesting piece of equipment.  In the number of years I have been
diving and teaching, "...which fins are the best fins..." is asked as often as
of the mask.  Most often the reply is, "...whichever fits the best..."  I have
been fortunate to have owned a dive shop for a number of years and later
associated with another, but not as an employee or hired/commissioned
instructor.  My experiences and opportunities have afforded me the use of almost
any type of equipment I would want to try...no purchase necessary.  I tried many
fins and masks and found for my body height, weight, in-water mass, physical
conditions at any given time (this has changed a number of times over the last
30 years of diving) that I need to use two different types of fins designed for
different types of diving.

Like Mike, I, too have had great success over the years with the Jet fin or the
IDI 'knock-off' (these go back many years for me).  Now that my feet and today's
wet boots no longer allow my foot to fit the largest Jet fin my choice moved to
the Imperial Turtle fin, XXL.  This is wear only with my dry suit because of the
increase of my body/equipment in-water mass that must be pushed.  In 'current'
as Mike appropriately pointed out is a critical test for a fin and you.  My
Turtle fins are large and stiff enough to match the mass to be pushed as well as
not bending/flexing like paper when pressed against a current (often experienced
on mid-Atlantic wrecks.)  My second pair of fins, which are more flexible and
lighter, are for dives where currents are not a factor and I am wearing a
minimal amount of thermal protection.  The brand, model, and cost of these fins
are not important; I do not buy by brand only function.  As long as the dive
shop(s) I do business allow me the opportunity to try equipment in pools and
open water I will do business with them.  I dive with a full foot fin with a
soled diving sock when snorkeling; even less mass there.  Yes, I do take two
different pairs of fins when I travel as well as a second reg setup as good as
my primary.  The two dive shops I have selected to do business also have or
place into rental the fins they sell.  This is a big plus.  Unfortunately, many
shops will sell tons of stuff but only place equipment sold as "rental"
equipment in rental or very limited selections.

You have a lot of decisions to make throughout your diving career; be prudent.

Scott Hagedorn