At 10:52 22/09/1999 +1000, Strike wrote:
>> P.S. Strike and other Aussies, is it true carpet sharks are responsible
>for
>> more shark bites to humans than any other species?
>
>I don't know!  There's lots of anecdotal stories about people who mistakenly
>assumed that because the wobbegongs are so seemingly lethargic that it's
>safe to touch them!  The only problem with that is that if you're the
>umpteenth diver of the day to swim by and give it a prod they just may take
>offence and decide to latch on to you!  Because they have grinding plates,
>rather than jagged, pointed teeth, the injury may be little more than severe
>bruising, but the main injury is to pride!  They're tenacious bastards!
>Once they latch on, they're loathe to let go!  Exiting the water with a
>2-metre wobbegong latched on to your shoulder while you're busy punching it,
>is not a good advertisement for diving's prominent role in underwater
>conservation!  :-)

I hate that my first post to the list in yonks is a correction, but...
...wobbies actually have long narrow teeth, similar in appearance to those
of grey nurse (but lacking the characteristic notches).  They can and do
create nasty cuts (or even dislodge and become imbedded in the flesh).  I
know a couple of people who've had bites.

Wobbies are generally placid (I'm always picking up tails to establish the
gender, for scientific purposes you understand :-)  ) but some times you
get the feeling they just don't want to be messed with.  I've only had a
couple attack me and that was after I filmed them mating (understandable
really, particularly as I put the pics on the Internet  :-)  ).

Cheers,

Simon

Simon L Hartley
RSM Unit Web Administrator\First Year Course Coordinator
Associate Lecturer
School of Resource Science and Management
Southern Cross University
P.O. Box 157
Lismore NSW, Australia 2480
Ph: (02) 66203251 or (61 66) 203 251