----- Original Message -----
From: John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list CONLANG <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 9:21 AM
Subject: Regularized Inglish

> Az for fonetic independence, we in the U.S. aulreddy hav it, but
> unfortunately mostly in places where it duz no wun enny good at aul.

What do you mean by this?

> Wijk's system is essentially orthografic; he has discovered the most
> common use of each stressed vowel (or vowel group) and consonant
> (or consonant group) and sudgests chainging oenly the wuns that
> conflict.  Unstressed vowels aar left aloen, and their can be up to
> 8 spellings for a sound (e.g. /ej/ can be spelled "a", "ai", "ei", "aigh",
> "eigh", and several more).

Hmm. I would still spell it <suggests> in that system :)

> He uses "dh" for the voiced sound /D/ except initially; this iz a point
> in which I disagree with him, and I am not using it in this post.

> The digraf "ie" means /ai/ finally, but /i/ elsewhare.

Pretty silly to make them have different pronunciations at different
positions.

> Wijk thinks "ph" iz unnecessary, chainging it to "f" everywhare;
> I suspect this iz excessiv.

I don't think so... at least changing <ph> to <f> doesn't alter the
appearance that drastically (IMHO).

> In general, wurds of French or Latin origin tend to be left alone,
> whereaz Germanic wurds are more offen changed.

Hmm, bizarre. Latinate words can have spellings as weird as Germanic ones.