andrew wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Steg Belsky wrote:
>
> > Eh?  {olei} is pronounced /olej/.
> > Isn't "allez" /ale/ ?  (and what is it, anyway?)
> >
> Depending on how accurate the speaker is.  The same day as the
> Rokbeigalmki Chant came through I watched an interview with the singer
> Ricky Martin which mentioned a song he did for the soccer world cup which
> included a line in the chorus that sounded to me like /olej olej olej/.
> Since this song included lines sung in English, French and Spanish, I
> suspect is was meant to be {allez, allez, allez} "Go! Go! Go!" rather than
> Spanish {ole ole ole}.  Pronunciation, to the untrained ear, becomes
> blurred...

        It was "allez" indeed. Trust a French speaker and listener :) .

> Also I know Anglo-Norman re-enactors who use the battle-cry {Allons-ci,
> allons-ci, allon-ci} "Here we go!  Here we go!  Here we go!"  So using
> aller in chants does not sound unusual to me and it leads me to suspect
> that Rokbeigalmki {olej} may be an (innocent) parallel development.

        Shouldn't it be "allons-y" /alO~zi/ instead? I never saw this
"allons-ci". And yes, we use "allez" much in chants. It's a hortative
exclamation (to speak with big linguist's words :) ). "Hortative"? I'm
not sure of it finally... :)

--
        Christophe Grandsire

        Philips Research Laboratories --  Building WB 145
        Prof. Holstlaan 4
        5656 AA Eindhoven
        The Netherlands

        Phone:  +31-40-27-45006