On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, R. Nierse wrote:

> If alfabets are difficult stuff and Dutch had a syllabary, what should I do
> with words like "herfstsfeer" and "angstzweet". Lot of consonantclusters.

Well, you don't pronounce all of them; I say ['hERfsfer] and
['aNsswet] (with a longish "s"). It took a *lot* of convincing to get
our choirmistress to realize that the daunting-looking consonant
cluster in "bruiloftszaal" is nothing more than [fs].

   Irina

                     [log in to unmask] (myself)
       http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (English)
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/backpage.html (Nederlands)