Daniel Andreasson wrote:

> One example is the word 'back' which is pronounced
> [b&x]. What's that? Is it some Gaelic influence
> on northern English dialects or what? Although it
> sounds pretty cool IMO.

I think you can ask Ray on that one -- he lives in Britain,
and has lots of personal experience of all (most?) of the
varieties of British dialects.

My first comment would be that it seems like a fairly
easily understood sound change:  when in final position,
[k] becomes [x].  I think Ray mentioned something a while
back about a dialect that changes all final [t] to the affricate
[ts], so that "cat" sounds like "cats" in both the singular and
the plural.

Not the same thing, but interesting, nonetheless. :)

Tom Wier <[log in to unmask]>
ICQ#: 4315704   AIM: Deuterotom
Website: <http://www.angelfire.com/tx/eclectorium/>
"Cogito ergo sum, sed credo ergo ero."

Denn wo Begriffe fehlen,
Da stellt ein Wort zur rechten Zeit sich ein.
   -- Mephistopheles, in Goethe's _Faust_