On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Don Blaheta wrote:

> Quoth Irina Rempt-Drijfhout:

> > "ij"

> Aren't there some orthographies that treat it as 'y'? I'm sure I've
> seen some printed Dutch that included e.g. the number "vyf" (but it was
> sort of old, so there maybe was some reform along the way).

Yes, old ones, as you said, when spelling was still optional. There's
a famous restaurant in Amsterdam called "De Vyff Vlieghen" (I'm not
sure about the 'h') that has been using the same spelling since
seventeen-something.

   Irina

                     [log in to unmask] (myself)
       http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (English)