taliesin the storyteller wrote:

> I'm currently struggling with understanding the rel. cl. of my lang
> correctly, and thought I'd look at how it works in other langs.
> Unfortunately, it seems that relative clauses is part of the grammar
> that is 'not yet online' :) Does it change too often?

        Not in my case :) . I explain how to make relative clauses in all my
grammars that are online.

> Anyways, how -do- you do relative clauses in your conlangs? Here's
> something for y'all to translate... (substitute words when necessary...)

        I'm going to use the grammar skeletons of some of my conlangs instead
of the words themselves, because I have currently no access to my
lexicon files and notes.

> rel. subject:
> "The dog that saw the cat was large."

Azak-like:
        large-aorist dog-abs. see-REL. cat-the-abs.

Reman-like:
        the dog the that saw the cat large

Moten-like:
        cat-the-acc. see be-past-REL. dog-the-nom. large be-past

Chasma"o"cho-like:
        large dog-const. see-cat-the RES. END

> rel. object:
> "The dog saw the cat that killed the mouse."

Azak-like:
        see-aorist dog-the-erg. cat-abs. kill-REL. mouse-the-abs.

Reman-like:
        the dog saw the cat the that killed the mouse

Moten-like:
        inst.-dog-the mouse-the-acc. kill be-past-REL. cat-the-acc. see be-past

Chasma"o"cho-like:
        see dog-the cat-const. kill-mouse-the RES. END

> nested:
> "The dog that saw the cat that killed the mouse that was large drank
> from the river that John put the poison in."

Azak-like:
        drink-aorist dog-erg. see-REL. cat-abs. kill-REL. mouse-abs. large-REL.
river-from put-REL. John-erg. poison-the-abs. it-ill.

Reman-like:
        the dog the that saw the cat the that killed the mouse large drank from
the river in the that John put the poison

Moten-like:
        large be-past-REL. mouse-the-acc. kill be-past-REL. cat-the-acc. see
be-past-REL. dog-the-nom. John-nom. poison-the-acc. place-inside-acc.
put be-past-REL. place-river-the-gen.

Chasma"o"cho-like:
        drink dog-const. see RES. cat-const. kill RES. mouse large END END
from-it river-const. put-poison-the John in-RES. END

> rel. indirect object:
> "The dog that John gave the ball to."

Azak-like:
        dog give-aorist-REL. John-erg. ball-the-abs.

Reman-like:
        the dog to the that John gave the ball

Moten-like:
        John-nom. ball-the-acc. give be-past-REL. dog-the

Chasma"o"cho-like:
        dog-const. give-ball-the John to-RES. END

> rel. oblique:
> "The mouse that the cat chewed on." or,
> "The cat that the dog was bigger than."

Azak-like:
        cat big-aorist-REL. more dog-the-abs.

Reman-like:
        the cat than the that the dog bigger

Moten-like:
        dog-the-nom. bigger be-past-REL. cat-the

Chasma"o"cho-like:
        cat-const. bigger dog-the be-RES. END

> rel. posessor:
> "The dog saw the cat whose teeth were huge."

Azak-like:
        see-aorist dog-the-erg. cat huge-REL. teeth-abs.

Reman-like:
        the dog saw the cat of the that the teeth huge

Moten-like:
        inst.-dog-the teeth-the-nom. huge be-past-REL. cat-the-acc. see be-past

Chasma"o"cho-like:
        see dog-the cat-const. huge teeth-const. RES. END

        Wow! I hope you'll understand something about it. As you see, I use
many different ways of making relative clauses. Just choose :) .

--
        Christophe Grandsire

        Philips Research Laboratories --  Building WB 145
        Prof. Holstlaan 4
        5656 AA Eindhoven
        The Netherlands

        Phone:  +31-40-27-45006